Gentleman: When you are on a date, what is it that you want the most? Most men would say they want to capture the woman’s attention. After all, how else are you going to convince her that you’re a stand-up guy worthy of a continued relationship? To do this, you win her over with a charming smile and riveting storeys that make her laugh. By the end of the date, she is already planning the next one.
What happens, though, if she becomes distracted during the date? This can easily occur when you’re not following proper dating etiquette. While etiquette can vary, depending on which city you live in and your cultural backgrounds, these tips will help you stay on track the majority of the time.
Dating Etiquette: What to do
- Walking- Are you planning on taking her for a moonlight stroll through the park or even walking from the restaurant to a local bookstore or movie theatre? If so, be careful to follow dating etiquette. You should always walk at her side or slightly behind her, positioned so that you are the one walking closest to the road. Don’t attempt to walk ahead of her. This gives the impression that you’re in a hurry to get the date over with or feel as if you are superior to her in some way.
- Paying- The majority of the time, you will be expected to pay on the first date, unless it has otherwise been discussed or she was the one that asked you out. After the first date, however, things get a bit trickier. Some men and women prefer to pay for their own share after this, while some women still expect the man to pay. Discuss it with your date (before the actual date occurs- don’t surprise her with the idea of going Dutch after the bill arrives.)
- Drink Responsibly- While you may not be driving home, that doesn’t mean you should let yourself go when it comes to cocktails and wine. This is easy to do, especially if you’re nervous, but drinking too much will cloud your judgement and annoy most women. If you aren’t sure how much is too much, use this tip: never drink more alcohol on a date than your date does.
- Dress it up- Your attire may not seem like it should be in a list of tips about dating etiquette, but there’s a reason it is. The clothing you wear is essential, because it shows a woman just how much you respect her and the idea of dating her. Dress appropriately for the occasion, either in men’s suits or a tweed jacket and trousers. Show her you’re willing to go the extra distance.
- Turn off the Phone- When you’re on a date, turn your cell phone off, put it in the pocket of your tweed jacket, and forget it. Focus solely on her. Answering your phone, texting, or surfing the internet during your date is not only a turn-off, but will make her feel as if you don’t have any respect for her at all.
- Be on Time- Yes, we know it may have taken you hours to find the right suit and a tie that would look good with your suits, but that’s no excuse. Plan ahead so you’ll be on time to pick her up or meet her at the date location. Arriving late tells her that you have better things to do than spend your time with her, and that’s the last thing you want.
Planning a date? Get out your men’s tweed jacket or nice suits and start preparing to make it special now with the help of these dating etiquette tips.